Saturday, June 23, 2007

About Sue Clark-Wittenberg

I am Sue Clark-Wittenberg and I am 52 years old. I was born in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada where I continue to live. I am married to Steven Earl Wittenberg.

I am an electroshock survivor. I am an antipsychiatry activist who is exposing the harm done by psychiatry.

I was psychiatrized in Ontario psychiatric hospitals for 18 years from 1972 to 1990.

I have been free of psychiatry now for 17 years now. Since that time I have not been admitted to a psychiatric hospital nor have I taken any psychiatric drugs/medications.

I am an electroshock (ECT) survivor. I had 5 ECTs given to me against my will at the age of 17 years old in 1973 at the Brockville Psychiatric Hospital in Ontario, Canada.

On my 5th ECT, my heart stopped and I was revived. As a result of having had ECT I suffer my brain damage that caused me to have permanent memory loss.

I can't remember anything but day to day and I have to mark everything down in a book and even then I forget where I put the book. My life is chaotic because of this. I have missed countless meetings, doctor appointments, and visits with friends and family. If I put something in my house not in the same place, I will not find it for a long time.

I find it difficult to learn anything new. I went to Carleton University in Ottawa in 1995 for one semester. I had to leave the university as I could not remember what I was learning.

This was unfortunate as I wanted a good education so I could get a good job.

I am the executive director of the Wittenberg Center to End Electroshock.

I want to help ban electroshock in Canada. Electroshock is torture and I don't want anyone to go through what I did. Electroshock should have been banned many years ago.

Electroshock always causes brain damage. There are many reports and studies proving this.

Go to Dr. Peter R. Breggin's website for more info on ECT and it brain damaging effects at the URL: http://www.breggin.com

I am writing my autobiography called "Behind the Locked Ward" online at the URL:
http://symclark.blogspot.com

I am also an incest survivor. One of my uncles molested me. I am also a survivor of childhood abuse, my mother abused me. I am also a survivor of domestic abuse in two former marriages.